Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's Just Good to Get Out


This morning was just one of those days it just didn't matter what or if I caught anything...it was just good to be outside enjoying the beginning of spring.  The last week or two has brought warmer than average temperatures to the northeast and with that the blooming of many flowers and increased activity from many animals.  Many signs of spring are familiar and welcome following any kind of winter.  However, sometimes the rare and unusual sight greets the eye.  For instance, take this guy I spotted out in the yard....

An unusual grey squirrel
I have seen the rare black version of a grey squirrel but never one like this.  It just goes to show you that Nature is full of surprises and that sometimes you don't have to look farther than your backyard to see them.

Blooming forsythia, a familiar sight in spring
With trout season about a week away I was interested in going down to the millpond to "stretch out" some of those casting muscles.  Last week I picked up my first yellow perch of the year.  Today I was interested in maybe some large bluegills to put a bend in my tenkara rod.  I was unsure how active they might be because air temperatures have been warm but it usually takes a little longer to warm up the water.  But to my surprise I picked up an even dozen in less than an hour.

First bluegill of the season
I took all of them on a Kiwi's Killer, which has become my "one-fly" when fishing the millpond.  Over all it was a very good morning and I'm looking forward the rest of spring.  Hopefully next week I will have some brook trout or brown trout to talk about.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Hopefully wetting a line with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karel, looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great day.
    Hope this cold snap doesn't do much damage.

    ReplyDelete