Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Kebari


Christmas Kebari
 Well, Christmas is just about here again.  I'm sure many out there are still scrambling around trying to finish last minute items, myself included.  But I wanted to get into the spirit of things with a Christmas inspired sakasa kebari.  The result was the Christmas Kebari.  I will admit that the inspiration for this fly did not come entirely from the upcoming holiday.  There is a north country soft hackled fly called a Peacock and Red that is similar.  I changed it by adding the characteristic sakasa kebari reverse tied hackle (white or gray Hungarian partridge) and the ribbing is not red tinsel but Uni-floss red floss.  However, I think because it has the main Christmas colors of red, white, and green it could still be considered festive.  I also think it may work well on the water because I find that with peacock herl and the color red you can't go wrong when looking for trout. 
Christmas Kebari
Hook: Mustad C49S
Hackle: Hungarian Partridge
Thread: Uni-Thread Black 6/0
Body: Peacock Herl
Rib: Uni-Floss Red

I hope some of you will try fishing this fly Tenkara style or by traditional western fly fishing methods.  I would also like to wish everyone out there a Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year!  May 2011 bring you peace, happiness and a creel full of your favorite trout!

1 comment: